Joint accounts can be opened in the names of two or more NRIs provided all the joint account holders are persons of Indian nationality or origin. When one of the joint holders becomes resident, the branches may either delete the name or allow the account to continue as a NRE account and treat it as joint account with resident (on former or survivor basis), only if, the resident account holder is a close relative (as defined by RBI) or re-designate the account as a resident account, at the option of the account holders.
4)How do I open a NRI account?
NRI account can be opened only when all the account holders visit a branch personally. (PNB Branches)
5)What are the documents required?
The following documents are required for opening an account:
• Proof of identification - Original current signed passport or photo-card full UK driving licence (for non UK passports, original valid visa is required).
6)How long will it take to open an account?
• Proof of address - Recent (not older than 3 months) original Bank statement or utility invoice (telephone, gas, electricity, water, council rates) with full name.
• In case of joint account separate documents as noted above are required for each applicant.
• Cash of minimum amount of £20.
• 2 passport size photographs for all account holders.
• Account Opening Form
The account will be opened as soon as all the formalities (activation of 2 working days & debit card, IBS) are completed and a welcome letter will be mailed to your mailing address providing all the necessary information to operate the account.